Updated: January 25, 2018
FORBIDDEN PLANET PHOTO GALLERY #02
Robby was the brainchild of, and designed by Robert Kinoshita, and
built in mid-1955 by the MGM prop department, at a reported cost
of $125,000.00 from blueprint plans provided by industrial
designer, Japanese-American engineer Robert Kinoshita, to 'star'
in the epic science fiction classic Forbidden Planet (1956) and
its B-movie followup The Invisible Boy (1957) a year later. Robby
the Robot has become one of the most popular Robot icons in the
history of movies and media, as recognizable as George Lucas'
erstwhile comedy team of R2-D2 and C-3PO who 'co-starred' in his
epic sci-fi fantasy Star Wars (1977).
Today, Robby the Robot is a superstar of science fiction, the
perfect realization of Isaac Asimov's famous "Three Laws of
Robotics" established over 40 years ago in Forbidden Planet
The Barton brothers completed their full-size replica of Robby in
the spring of 1975, and celebrated by booking him at as many Star
Trek and sci-fi conventions as they could. Robby was a big hit, a
major media star once again, even though the clone made all the
personal appearances while the original MGM Robot stood gathering
dust in an Orange County movie museum.
Robby is now owned by the top Forbidden Planet collector in the
world, film director 'Bill Malone'. Robby's voice was provided by
talented actor and announcer Marvin Miller. Robby stands at a height
of 7' 6" tall, weighs about 300 lbs., and was originally operated by
an MGM special effects technician named 'Glen Robinson' who subsequently
worked on MGM's Logan's Run (1976).